The Coronavirus outbreak has us all on edge. As the crisis grows, California’s unions are responding to ensure workers are protected.
We’re working with the Newsom Administration to ensure workers have the information they need to protect themselves and their families. The first thing to note is that all California employees have the opportunity to earn paid sick days under California law. Unions fought hard for this law to ensure workers can take time off when illness strikes at home.
Support Services for Workers
- Summary Chart: Benefit for Workers Impacted by COVID-19
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – FAQs on laws enforced by the California Labor Commissioner’s Office
- California’s paid sick days law and coronavirus
- Information on Disability Insurance (DI), Paid Family Leave (PFL), and Unemployment Insurance (UI).
- Support Services for those who are Sick or Quarantined, Caregiving, or Dealing with Reduced Work Hours
- Filing for an Unemployment Insurance Claim for Wages and Hours reduced (Work Sharing Program)
- Legal Aid at Work COVID-19 Fact Sheet (FAQ is also available in Spanish and Chinese)
Governor Newsom announced a new California COVID-19 website with resources, info, latest numbers, & public service announcement
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Suspend Standardized Testing for Students in Response to COVID-19 Outbreak
- Governor Newsom Takes Emergency Actions & Authorizes $150 Million in Funding to Protect Homeless Californians from COVID-19
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order to Allow Timely Delivery of Vital Goods During COVID-19 Outbreak
- Governor Newsom issued an executive order to protect ongoing safety net services for most vulnerable Californians during COVID-19 outbreak. Read the Governor’s response here
- Governor Newsom issued an executive order on the coronavirus that includes waiving the one-week waiting period for unemployment and disability insurance. Read the Governor’s entire response here.
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Protect Renters and Homeowners During COVID-19 Pandemic. Read the Governor’s response here.
Union Resources on COVID-19
- California’s health care unions are on the front lines of the fight against COVID-19. Keep up-to-date with the latest information from the California Nurses Association.
- IFPTE Local 21 Resources
- SEIU 1021 Response Updates
- CTA Toolkit for Educators
- SAG-AFTRA Unemployment Insurance and COVID-19
- SEIU 521 Resources + Information + Updates
- AFM 47 Updates
- Teamster Local 399 updates & resources
- North America’s Building Trades Unions issued specific advice for construction industry employers to protect construction professionals from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.
- And finally, the AFL-CIO is tracking the federal response. View all the federal resources compiled by the AFL-CIO here.
Central Labor Council Resources
- Los Angeles County Federation of Labor resources & information
- Contra Costa Labor Council Know Your Rights during COVID-19
Gig Workers and Contractors
- The COVID-19 is wrecking havoc on gig workers who lack financial safety and basic protections. View all federal and state resources for gig workers here
COVID-19 Social Safety Net Resources
- Food assistance (benefitscal.org), (cafoodbanks.org)
- Rent assistance (needhelppayingbills.com)
- Utility assistance (ca.gov)
- Medical assistance (ca.gov)
COVID-19 Resources en Español
- OSHA standards protecting workers from COVID-19.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- CDC: Plan, Prepare and Respond to Coronavirus Disease
Keeping working people safe through a health care crisis is a top priority for unions. If you need additional information or have questions, email us at [email protected] and we’ll try to direct you to appropriate resources.